How CAD Outsourcing Can Help in Reducing Product Development Costs
Reducing product development costs is what every manufacturer eyes for, in order to stay ahead in a tight competitive market. It is however quite true that the use of computer aided design and drawing tools have significantly reduces the design process; they have also raised significant overhead and infrastructure costs.
This is significantly an issue for small scale manufacturers that mostly rely on their core manufacturing capabilities. While CAD modeling has become a mainstream design tool, this has also led to consider this design module less important than core business activities and is also a good outsourcing candidate according many research reports.
Outsourcing CAD requirements is nothing new and is being adopted by many manufacturers as a part of their cost-saving strategy.
Despite having an infrastructure to develop product designs in-house, it is always better to outsource this task offshore, as it brings number of benefits that can ultimately reduce overhead costs significantly. Some of these benefits are listed here:
- Gain increase in productivity as there is no need to invest time in developing design from scratch
- Get manufacturing ready drawings directly to speed up shop-floor activities
- Expect faster design process without any delay due to commitments from outsourcing partner
- Chances of errors are reduced
- Better co-operation between consultant and in-house team
- Significant reduction in overhead cost as special infrastructure for CAD is not required
- Chances of gaining competitive advantage in the market is higher
- More focus on core business activities including research and development
Despite so many advantages, outsourcing your CAD projects requires proper care in selecting the right partner. You might end up paying too much for a work that stands no where as per your quality expectations. In order to avoid such situations, here are few of the important tips that you should consider while choosing the outsourcing partner for your CAD requirements.
- Use the power of internet to filter quality firms by looking at the services they offer and their past client base and work experience.
- Try to get feedback of the provider’s clients and see what they have to say about the service quality.
- Compare also the prices of different providers to select the most competitive one; however, do not compromise quality at the cost of low price. If you find a provider expensive, try to talk and convince them to reach at mutually agreeable figure.
- Use references from the people working in your industry.
- Find affiliates or sponsored partners from software providers websites